Author Topic: Handling Truth  (Read 69 times)

Offline PastorGerald

• Board of Directors
  • Forum Member
Handling Truth
« on: February 13, 2019, 08:32:47 »
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
John 8.32
Very seldom does a man enjoy the truth. Truth is necessary, and sometimes, the truth is hard to take. When truth comes to a man, he has a decision to make. The questions may be, "Should I attack or reject the one who spoke the truth" or Should I brush it off because, after all, I already have, what I believe, to be the truth with in me."? The third option may be, which is more honorable, is "maybe the source who spoke the truth really is a valid truth."
In the Bible verse 'John 8.32,' Jesus spoke this to Jews who were offended by the truth. Just like today, truth often makes us feel offended. The Jews arguing with Jesus were not qualified to be Jesus.
Truth is a good thing; even though it often offends. Truth can either hurt or it can praise. Whatever the nature of truth, it should be examined and thought out, and if found to be accurate, then truth, whether offensive or praiseworthy, ought to be taken within the soul.
Jesus once told a man ..... " Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Luke 18.22
This was a hard truth; for the man was very wealthy. It was a necessary truth, but it was an offensive truth. To accept this truth would have been a wonderful freedom for the man; however, we are not told what the man ultimately did; only that he walked away very sad.
What truth is God offering you today? Do you think the one who offered truth is arrogant. Perhaps, the one who gave the truth is not qualified or, maybe the truth offered, was done to hurt. In this case, we would want to seriously examine the truth offered. But, be careful, it may actually be vital truth.
Back in my college days, I had professors, one in particular, who spoke truth to me. Sometimes, it was very upsetting. I even questioned within my heart, the Christian nature of the professor. But, you know, it was truth which I had to face. The truth spoken, was not truth to destroy me; it was however, truth to prepare me for greater truths yet to come.
If someone offers you a fact today, examine it for the possibility of being truth. Since God is speaking truth to you everyday, biblically examine it to see if God is really the Speaker. When you find that God is speaking a truth, be willing to accept it. It is for the good... Remember, Jesus said "the truth will set you free' John 8.32.
Pastor Gerald Casselman