Author Topic: How did Jesus fulfill the meanings of the "Jewish feasts?"  (Read 7383 times)

Dvan34

Offline DonnaR

• Star Vision Ordinant
  • Forum Member
    • Branch of the Lord Church
Re: How did Jesus fulfill the meanings of the "Jewish feasts?"
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 15:20:13 »
Don...I really liked this post.  It was extremely succinct and explained the feasts from the OT as they relate to the NT, with a lot of clarity.  I know they were brief, and there is much more to learn from them...but I appreciated this article.  It is now causing me to look further into the command to "Keep the Sabbath".  This is a very controversial topic among some Christians, and God has brought it to my attention lately.

If anyone has any Biblical support "for" or "against" how a modern day Christian should or should not keep the Sabbath...I would be very interested in reading what you will share.

Dvan34

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 19:08:34 »

Dvan34

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 19:20:11 »
Perhaps I should explain my use of the word, "Unfortunately" more fully. He and his wife were very involved in personal evangelizing, and baptizing, however, they insisted that everyone had to follow a strict form of legalism. He operated a commercial business selling plants and closed his business on Saturdays, although opening on Sundays, which should have been alright, according to Paul, as long as they were doing it to glorify Jesus Christ. But when he was open he continually chided his customers with his version of religion. He was very pontifical. I met with him several times but was unable to discuss anything with him. The last I heard he and his wife had separated, him living in one part of the home and she in the other. I did visit him after this but the situation was very uncomfortable.  We can recollect that Paul had problems with the Judaizers who followed him insisting that Christian gentile converts, or former Jews had to live observing all of the Jewish customs and rites in addition to the Christian commandments.  Peter was chastized by James for doing this when he feared eating with gentile converts because of the Judaizers. One more point I may I add, the Jewish Feasts are beautiful and very meaningful, even to Christians, although our salvation does NOT depend upon them.

Dvan34

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 20:08:01 »

Dvan34

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 20:32:08 »
Donna,

Did I get carried away and miss the question you asked? The Sabbath was a day of rest for mankind, not a day of worship. We should worship God every day and not restrict ourselves to any one day. Sunday was set up by the Catholic Church, as a dispensation, separating it from the Jewish Sabbath, supposedly to honor the Resurrection of Christ. Early Christians began worshiping on Sunday in honor of the Resurrection but :

In the year 321 A.D., Constantine decreed, "On the venerable day of the  Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all  workshops be closed" (Codex Justinianus lib. 3, tit. 12, 3; trans. in  Philip Schaff, History of the Christian Church, Vol. 3, p. 380,  note 1). Constantine seems to have made this change himself and not  through the papacy, since the papacy had not really come in to being at  that time. The papacy grew gradually out of the office of Bishop and for  many years this was centered in Rome. In any case, it should be noted  that in doing this, Constantine is not changing the Sabbath; he is  merely making Sunday the official day of rest for the Roman Empire.

Offline DonnaR

• Star Vision Ordinant
  • Forum Member
    • Branch of the Lord Church
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 21:46:20 »
Don...you sure did provide a plethora of your thoughts.  Thanks for taking the time and energy to give this so much consideration and for sharing it.  I too have been researching this topic and am in agreement with all you have shared.  God bless you and I look forward to more of this kind of iron sharpening iron.

Offline Bishop Sandi

• Board of Directors
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:50:30 »
I really enjoyed this posting.  My husband and I are working on a teaching that goes even further in depth into each feast and reveals the Messiah and Jesus' teachings.  The feasts are so beautiful and so full of meaning.  It is amazing to watch how God prefigured Jesus in the feasts.

Offline Olivia Dunaway

• Star Vision Ordinant
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 14:46:21 »
Reverend Don;
       I am impressed at the extent of your knowledge of this subject. I hold a M.R.E. and my major in study
  was Ancient Eastern Religion and Culture. I am most fascinated with the history pertaining to the O.T.
  I find confirmation in the awesomeness of God when I study this time period. When you look at the overall picture
 you get an amazing glance at how God foreordained the coming of His Son from the beginning. God is truly Awesome!
Evangelist Olivia Dunaway

Dvan34

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 17:20:24 »
You are right concerning the Old Testament. Knowledge of the OT provide great insight and reinforce our faith in God as we see His providence and faithfulness through the century as He unfolds His plan to bring His Son. Someone has said"

The Old Testament is Jesus Concealed.
The New Testament is Jesus Revealed.

The Jewish Feasts in the Spring were provided to show us the timeline for His arrival- the First Advent through Pentecost and the Resurrection (First Fruits)

The Fall Feasts remain presently unfulfilled to till the time of His Second Coming.

What a shame that so many churches find the OT and prophecy either boring or off limits.

In the Old Testament Jesus is actually present throughout in 'types and shadows' from Genesis to Malachi.

When the Old Testament is ignored we overlook the very foundation of our Faith. It is like reading the last chapter in a mystery without reading all that transpired before.